Zheleznodorozhny is a town in Moscow region. It’s located in 6 km to the East from the capital. The town is a part of the Moscow agglomeration and is the only locality of the city district Zheleznodorozhny.
Population of the town is 138 thousand people.
There was Obiralovka (from the word meaning “rob”) village in the territory of the modern town till 1939. The village has got its name because of robberies of merchants happened in vicinities of the village. The town of Zheleznodorozhny occurred here in 1952 which has included territories of several nearby villages.
A construction industry is the base of economy of the town.
There are some places of interest in Zheleznodorozhny. The main of them are: the orthodox church of Transfiguration constructed in 1623; the museum of local history and lore; the observatory of the astronomical center "Vega" where there is a huge reflecting telescope.
One more architectural pearl of Zheleznodorozhny is the Temple of New Martyrs and Confessors located on Yuzhnaya Street. The temple is constructed in 2003 in the Russian-Byzantine style. It represents columnless quadrangle which comes to the end with a round light dome drum with a cross.