Zvenigorod is a town in Moscow region located on the bank of Moscow River, 30 km to the West from the capital.
There are a lot of stationary factories in Zvenigorod. The"SAHO-bread" bakery functions here. Numerous spa resorts and boarding houses are located in outskirts of the town.
The Zvenigorod historical and architectural and art museum is located in Zvenigorod. It was opened in Vvedenskoye estate in 1920. About 50 thousand exhibit items are being kept in holdings of the museum.
Cultural center named after Lyubov Orlova is located on Moskovskaya Street. The surface finish of the building is very interesting. This is a combination of vertical stained-glass windows and small window apertures. Interiors of halls are decorated in style of the 60th years.
The Savvino-Storozhevsky monastery is one of the main sights of Zvenigorod. It was founded in 1398 by Savva, the Zvenigorod wonderworker who was one of Sergy Radonezhsky's first followers. The Nativity Church was constructed in 1405. It was white stone-built building constructed in traditions of the Vadimir-Suzdalian architecture. The earliest paintings of the temple are dated the 15th century. The main buildings and fortifications were put up in the fifties of the 17th century. In 1919, the monastery was closed. Military units, sanatorium, and a museum were being located in buildings of the monastery during the Soviet period. In 1995, the monastery was transferred to believers again. Monument to Savva Storozhevsky has been unveiled near the monastery.
The cathedral of the Assumption of the Mother of God was constructed in the fortress of Prince Yury Zvenigorodsky in 1400. It is constructed in traditions of the Vladimir architecture. The white stone temple is decorated with belts of a white stone carving and doorways with keeled top. The belfry, an architectural monument of the beginning of the 19th century, is located near the cathedral. Nearby there is a church of Epiphany.
The temple of Alexander Nevsky, an architectural monument of the beginning of the 20th century, is located on Moskovskaya Street. It was built in a manner of eclecticism in 1902. In 1938, the temple was closed and became the hostel, then the Zvenigorod communication center. In 1991, the temple was returned to believers. Now the Sunday school and library of orthodox literature function at church.
Since 2006 Zvenigorod has had a twin-city – Mogilyov, Belarus.