Golitsyno, which was an urban-type settlement up to 2004, is located in Odintsovo district of Moscow region. Today it is the largest residential place of the urban settlement with the same name.
Village of Golitsyno owes to building of railroad from Moscow to Smolensk and later – to Brest its foundation. Railroad construction began in this direction in November, 1866. The new railroad which has connected Moscow to Europe had been of huge value for the state – both economic, and strategic. A station has been constructed on the 41st verst of this road. The station has received the name of Golitsyno – by last name of princes, on whose earth it had been arose. The station consisted of the wooden building in two floors and some houses for workers which have laid foundation of the future village. Soon the village has begun to develop quickly.
In 1891, the basket workshop was opened at Golitsyno station. Peasants of neighboring villages have been famous for this trade since ancient times. So S. Morozov, the known figure of handicraft industry, came to their assistance to keep the trade in a competitive environment. Differentiation of labor has been organized in the workshop that allowed bringing high-quality goods which was difficult to compete with to market. Baskets for coal and coke carrying which were widely used in the industry had become the main products of the workshop. The best models of basketwork made an exposition of the museum based later at the workshop.
At the beginning of the 20th century prince D. Golitsyn decided to construct a housing estate for rest of wealthy people on his lands located in a beauty spot. In 1906-10, estate maintenance was actively conducted. At that time new buildings and bridges were constructed, gas lamps have been fixed on boulevards.
The Soviet power was established in Golitsyno after revolution. The private gymnasium turned into labor school which has been remained the only cultural spot of the village for a long time.
In the 30s of the 20th century Golitsyno became a place of creative work of many writers. Names of such known people as Anna Akhmatova, Marina Tsvetaeva, Musa Dzhalil, Arcady Gaidar and many others are inexorably associated with history of modern town of Golitsyno.
Such enterprises as Golitsyno ceramic plant and Golitsyno brick plant form the basis of economy of modern town. Cultural life of Golitsyno is provided by Oktyabr, the Cultural and leisure center on which basis numerous creative coteries and sports sections function.