Dzerzhinsky is the town in the southeast of Moscow region. It is on the Moscow river, is a satellite town of the capital.
The history of Dzerzhinsky began in 1380 when Nicolo-Ugreshsky monastery was founded by Dmitry Donskoy in honor of a victory in Battle of Kulikovo. The labor commune for homeless children named after Felix Dzerzhinsky was formed within the walls of the closed monastery in 1920s. This commune became the urban-type settlement in 1938.
Since 1956 the settlement has been actively built up with new residential quarters and it was granted by the status of town under district jurisdiction in 1981. The status of the urban district Dzerzhinsky received in 2004.
The Nicolo-Ugreshsky monastery is the main sight of the town attracting here a great number of tourists and pilgrims.