Shchelkovo is a city on the Klyazma River in the Moscow region, located 13 km to the northeast from the capital.
The first mentions of the village of Shchelkovo are dated the 16th century. In 1923, the urban-type settlement was formed from the village. The status of the city was given to Shchelkovo in 1925.
Shchelkovo is a city where the industry is well developed, especially mechanic engineering, chemical and food branches. Such enterprises as bread-making plant, juice production plant, pharmaceutical company and some others work in the city.
Trinity cathedral, the architectural monument, is located on Proletarsky Avenue. Its construction lasted from 1909 to 1916. In 1929, the cathedral was closed. A theater was situated in the building, and the foundry was located here during the Great Patriotic War. In 1980, the Trinity cathedral was decided to be blown up, but it was prevented by the Olympic Games which were being held in Moscow at that time. In 1990, the temple was returned to believers. Restoration of the temple has been continued for some years. The stone temple is the bright representative of Russian modern style. S. M. Goncharov, the relative of A. Pushkin’s wife, was the designer of the building. There is also a lower underground temple.
One more sight of Shchelkovo is a dwelling house located on Talsinskaya Street. This is the longest house in the city, nicknamed popularly The Chinese wall. The building was constructed in 1978. This is a nine-floor house with twelve communal entrance hallways.
The Shchelkovo regional cultural complex is located on Pushkin Street. The building was constructed in 1959. The cultural complex includes two audience halls. Various events and competitions, concerts and conferences are held in the halls. The picture shown of various artists is organized in foyer of the cultural complex.
Other sights of the city are monuments to V. Lenin, A. Pushkin; memorial to the soldiers who were lost during the Great Patriotic War; monument to Conquerors of Space.